I have not tested the scenario with MVCC off because that is pretty much a
non-starter for our performance requirements.

It is kind of an odd bug because the application, the embedded h2 web
console, and the h2 shell do not have a problem with the database file.
 Only other database viewers seem to have the problem - of which I
certainly do not have an exhaustive list.  When I started looking into the
bug I did not realize that I'd be able to access the database file via the
H2 shell, so it was initially a higher priority bug.

As I mentioned, the most important thing for me that has come out of this
is learning about MVCC support/stability for PageStore.  Noel mentioned it
is not a priority for them, which I totally agree with, and I would not
want anyone to spend more of their time trying to research this because the
solution for me is to switch to MVStore and to use the H2 shell instead of
some of db viewer.