RJ,

If I understand you right, you're pushing for an approach where we don't
say anything about the routing protocol, and wait for the market to
converge on RIPng, thus ensuring interoperability.  Please correct me if
I've misunderstood you.

(My personal opinion right now (subject to change) is that we want
a single Homenet protocol, but ensure that HNCP is designed so it is
protocol-agnostic.  We should make it clear that, while we encourage
experimentation with other routing protocols, deploying HNCP with
a non-Homenet routing protocol is not Homenet-compliant and doesn't give
you the right to put the cool Homenet logo on your router.)

> Consumer electronics vendors operate with thinner margins
> (e.g. eliminating one resistor makes a meaningful difference in their
> profit).  Memory footprint and CPU cost matter a great deal to these
> manufacturers.

I think you're underestimating the amount of RAM and CPU in current cheap
routers.  The three cheapest routers I can find on Wallmart's website have
between 16 and 32MB of RAM and a 300MHz MIPS CPU.  That's plenty for
running RIPng and Babel, and probably more than enough for a single-area
variant of OSPF or IS-IS (Acee, can you confirm?).  (The only reason I can
see why these routers are unsuitable for Homenet is lack of flash -- some
have as little as 4MB.)

(Note that these are too slow to push anything close to 100Mb/s, even
without firewalling, which, I suspect, is the reason why recent designs
have switched to faster CPUs.)

> They already have RIP,

Do they?  Are there any cheap routers that come with RIP enabled by default?

> RIP is nearly zeroconf, and adding a link-state routing protocol would
> increase both their manufacturing cost and their support cost.
> Moreover, RIP scales just fine for residential and even small-business
> networks.

Just like you, I really like RIP, and could certainly live with RIPng
being the One Homenet Routing Protocol.  However, RIP(ng) has three major
flaws:

 - the metric is a 4-bit integer, which seriously limits your ability to
   do fun stuff (like forcing traffic to follow the nice 1Gb/s cabling in
   preference to the unstable wifi);
 - the lack of explicit hello packets slows down link detection -- and
   there's no way you'll do a cool demo unless you can unplug the ethernet
   jack and have the traffic rerouted within seconds (with RIP, you'll
   need on the order of a minute, unless you have link-layer indications,
   which don't work well for other reasons);
 - RIP is unable to detect unidirectional failures.

I don't see the lack of source-specific routing as a serious flaw, since
desigining and implementing a source-specific extension to RIPng is
probably a job for a day or two (I'm assuming you allow me to copy-paste
from Babel and keep me furnished in coffee and food).

> So these folks are not likely to add any link-state routing protocol to
> their products.

While I share your distaste for the "link-state everywhere" dogma, those
folks who base their firmware on OpenWRT will add whatever doesn't require
configuration and is well supported by OpenWRT.  Those who don't are going
to swear at us anyway.  (Think of it as a consulting opportunity.)

-- Juliusz