On 07/03/2015 01:02, Ray Hunter wrote:
> Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>>> Or more generally, how does a stub router know that it's a stub router,
>>> when there is no human to tell it so?
>>
>> Yeah, it's not very clear.  We were actually asked to describe the two
>> protocols' support for stub networks, and nobody never told us which of
>> the many definitions of stub network they meant, let alone describing the
>> use case precisely.  (The document uses the same definition as Cisco's
>> EIGRP documentation, in case you're interested.)
>>
>> I'm imagining a dedicated device that has both a WiFi interface and
>> a low-power interface that acts as a gateway between the Homenet network
>> and the sensor network.  Such a device would come from the factory with
>> the low power interface configured as a stub.
>>
>> -- Juliusz
>>

> Good points.
>
> My idea of a stub router is that the stub router itself knows it is a stub
> router.

I thought for about 24 hours that this was indeed the answer to my question.
Well, it is, for routers that are designed, packaged, labelled and shipped
for a stubby purpose such as managing a bunch of thermostats or something.
What Ray says below applies to this case.

But now I don't see what's to stop a home user from buying a more
general-purpose router which happens to have a ZigBee port or something,
and plugging it in such a way that it *should* behave as a stub router.
How does it discover that and configure itself accordingly?

Saying that the user made a mistake or should have configured the
device is not an answer.

   Brian