> The problem is, how’d the packet get so big that it was fragmented?

HNCP relies on network-layer fragmentation: it uses UDP and has no
application-layer mechanism for fragmenting large TLVs.  See Section 4.2
and Appendix B.2 of RFC 7787.

(I seem to recall that an earlier version of DNCP included provisions for
application-layer fragmentation of TLVs, but that was removed at some
point.  I don't remember why.)

Let's please come back to my question.  RFC 4443 paragraph 3.2 says

   A Packet Too Big MUST be sent by a router in response to a packet
   that it cannot forward because the packet is larger than the MTU of
   the outgoing link.

If your tunnelling software violates this, how is it not buggy?

-- Juliusz