> I notice in the current Openwrt code that the max UDP packet size is set at
> 9000 octets with the comment:

> /* Very arbitrary. On some implementations, I have seen some issues
>  * with 10+kb frames so we use this for now. It MUST be significantly
>  * more than 4k, due to how code is written at the moment. */
> #define HNCP_MAXIMUM_UNICAST_SIZE 9000

> With current code (without expanding the TLV data set), and my sample
> test routers, that sets a current maximum network size of approx. 12
> nodes.

I don't think that the limit applies to the total network size, it applies to
the maximum size of a single NODE-STATE TLV.  If memory serves, HNCP is
able to send each NODE-STATE in a separate datagram, so the network can
grow without bound; it's the amount of data published by a single node
that is limited to slightly less than 9kB.

However, I agree that this could prove problematic if you build a very
dense network (a single node with a lot of neighbours) or if you have
large numbers of external connections terminating at a single node.

-- Juliusz