On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:06:48PM -0700, Peter Yee wrote:
> I believe that the address randomization (Private Address) can be turned off
> in iOS 14,
> but it seems to be a manual operation per ESSID only.

Sort of yes and no.

I happened to notice it this morning, having got IOS 14 on a device.
There is a manual configuration knob, it defaults to on.

Despite that it did (eventually) detect that the network does not support
randomization,
and operationally disabled it, with a warning message about the privacy feature
being disabled or incompatible with the network, but with the 'private address'
being
the built in MAC address.  Or at least it did initially before I manually
disabled
the randomisation after noticing the warning, now it seems to only operate as a
manual on/off knob with no fallback operational disabling.

Also I happen to have a LAN, with 3 ESSIDs operating on it.
All currently using MAC filtering (yeah I know they can be spoofed).

Apple have a document describing what they desire for WiFi:
   https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202068

Where amongst other things, they mention not using different SSIDs for
different frequencies on the same LAN.

I guess the issue here is that when roaming between ESSIDs they'll change MAC,
affecting DHCP allocations and/or SLAAC and thereby break ongoing IP
connectivity,
or force ARP and/or NDP re-resolution.

I'll have a go at disabling the MAC filter at some point,
and see how that affects the roaming behaviour.
Given the prevalence of broken NATs, I suspect lots of apps will just recover,
at worst after a delay.

DF