On 29/09/2020 12:03, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> More on-topic, I do think MAC address randomisation has a role to play for
> WiFi as it does for BLE, but yes there is a lack of guidance as to how to
> implement and deploy such techniques well. It's a bit tricky though as it's
> fairly OS dependent so maybe not really in scope for the IETF?
> (For the last 3 years I've set a possible student project in this space, but
> each time a student has considered it, it turned out "too hard";-)

As I mentioned previously, IEEE 802.11 is looking into this area, both from an
operational perspective and from a privacy perspective. New IEEE 802.11
amendments (IEEE 802.11bh and IEEE 802.11bi, if approved) are being discussed.
The (very) high-level documents describing each can be found at [1] and [2]. I
would be happy to convey input to IEEE 802.11 regarding either document,
particularly in regards to layers 3 and above. Without wishing to open up a can
of worms about meeting fees, I will note that IEEE 802.11 is currently not
charging for its online meetings, so if anyone wishes to take part in the
random MAC address discussions directly, the next meeting will be held in early
November. The RCM Study Group met yesterday morning (Americas) and will meet
again in two weeks. See [3].

                -Peter

[1]
https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/20/11-20-0742-04-0rcm-proposed-par-draft.docx