Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\) <pthubert=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
    > Hello Dave and all:

    > So far I have not seen how the MAC randomization deals with:

    > - differentiated environments - the preferred behavior on a highway or
    > at a coffee shop may differ from that at in a corporate or a DC
    > network. In the corporate network, we can expect something like .1x to
    > undo the privacy, for good reasons. And we can expect state to be
    > maintained for each IP and each MAC. When a MAC changes, there can be
    > unwanted state created and remaining in the DHCP server, LISP MSMR,
    > SAVI switch,  etc... Privacy MAC is only an additional hassle that we
    > want to minimize.

If we can assume 802.1X using an Enterprise scheme, and using a TLS1.3
substrate, then if the identity resides in a (Client) TLS Certificate, it
will not been by a passive attacker.

The MAC address is outside of the WEP encryption, so it is always seen, even
if the traffic is otherwise encrypted.

An EAP-*TLS based upon TLS1.2 would reveal the identity, at least the first
time.  Perhaps this is a reason to support resumption tokens in EAP-TLS!

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )