On Fri, 20 Nov 2020, Daniel Migault wrote:

Hi,

While designing the DHCP options to configure the HNA we asked ourselves
how likely ISP are:

A) How an ISP is likely to perform an action that is user specific based on
a DHCP request. In our case the HNA sends to the DHCP server the
certificate it will use to authenticate itself to a server the ISP has
control on. The action is that the ISP will need to provision the server
with that certificate.

B) How an ISP is likely to provide a DHCP response that is specific to an
individual user. The specific information is typically expected to be
something provisioned for that user.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question but let me write some text and see if it helps.

In Sweden, ETTH is often delivered with an L2 switch of some kind, can be media converter or just CPE. Into this, you can connect a router, an ATA (PSTN box), a TV STB, and based on the MAC address and possibly the contents of the DHCP request, you'll get different responses, possibly even that the device reconfigures ports into different VLANs etc. The term used is called "free seating" (I have no idea where this came from) and the idea is to reduce customer support calls when customers plug in equipment into the "wrong" port, so instead just let customers plug into any port and it just works. The DHCP responses might also be different depending on type of device etc.

We also have cases where you register your HGW MAC address in a portal and depending on this MAC address, your HGW will either receive IPv4 GUA or end up behind CGN. So this differentiation is done on MAC address. Don't know if you consider this "part of DHCP request" or not.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se