From: e...@zusammenkunft.net [mailto:e...@zusammenkunft.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:09 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: Host name resolution

There are lots of reasons, and unfortunatelly they have different ways to
detect. Here are a few:

- proxy setting (if a system or application proxy is set it might resolve
addresses differently in one or the other)
- ipv6 preference: when the host has v4 and v6 addresses the prio in java
prefers either all v4 or all v6 whereas system or browsers might use different
- java resolution cache: if no security manager then java caches for 10s
otherwise indefinitely, browser might refresh faster
- different dns servers: java should use the system resolver but app might have
its own dns setting (unlikely: you reconfigured java to not use system resolver)
- Browsers try to implement a good user experience, this includes trying
resolving and connection in parallel/asny which leads to different timing
- dns based load balancer or site preference (windows ad!) Looking at the
source ip of query

I would start checking the system for stale/slow resolvers, checking the target
hostname for multiple (stale) addresses and go from there. It certainly helps
if you can actually log the ips used and ips expected.

Gruss
Bernd

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net