We use the async http components library to connect various components
in a system that is deployed, in some cases, on AWS. When it's
deployed on AWS, there are ELBs involved.

Like some other people, we've having various trauma dealing with the
very dynamic environment of AWS ELBs, which includes constant DNS
changes and some other issues. So far, we've been making our HC
configuration more and more complex. I'm wondering if we should back
off and make it simpler -- make a new connection for each request.
Obviously, this will be somewhat slower and more expensive, but at the
moment we might prefer a slower and more expensive approach that works
to one that occasionally gets lost.

I appreciate that even making new connections all the time won't
compensate for all possible DNS problems -- if Java itself caches a
stale name->address translation, making a new connection will fail
just as effectively as anything else.

Does anyone out there have advice to share (other than running away from ELB)?