Hello Bernd,

thank you for your reply.

I see them as ESTABLISHED and TIME_WAIT in netstat. The connections with
ESTABLISHED state are ok and most under 100, but the connections with TIME_WAIT
state are always more than 200. I mean on the client. On the server is ok and
has little open connections.

Gruss ;) Manuel

Here some important  code, how I set it up:

public class NetworkClient implements AutoCloseable {
public NetworkClient() {
    ConnectingIOReactor ioReactor;
    try {
      // Create I/O reactor configuration
      IOReactorConfig ioReactorConfig = IOReactorConfig.custom()
          .setIoThreadCount(Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors())

.setConnectTimeout(config.getConnectTimeout()).setSoTimeout(config.getSoTimeout())
          .build();
      ioReactor = new DefaultConnectingIOReactor(ioReactorConfig);

      PoolingNHttpClientConnectionManager cm = new
PoolingNHttpClientConnectionManager(ioReactor);
      cm.setMaxTotal(config.getConnectionMaxTotal());
      cm.setDefaultMaxPerRoute(config.getConnectionDefaultMaxPerRoute());

      RequestConfig globalConfig =
RequestConfig.custom().setCookieSpec(CookieSpecs.IGNORE_COOKIES)
          .build();

      HttpProcessor httpprocessor = HttpProcessorBuilder.create().build();
      httpClient =
HttpAsyncClients.custom().setDefaultRequestConfig(globalConfig)
          .setHttpProcessor(httpprocessor).setConnectionManager(cm).build();
    } catch (IOReactorException e) {
      LOGGER.error("Could not create ConnectionIOReactor", e);
    }

    initClientTransport();
  }

  private void initClientTransport() {
    httpClient.start();
  }

public Integer send(String destination, int port, HttpRequest httpRequest,
String operationName) {
    Assert.notNull(destination);
    Assert.notNull(httpRequest);

    startTime = startTime == 0 ? System.nanoTime() : startTime;

    HttpHost target = new HttpHost(destination, port);

    NcResponse ncResponse = getNewNcResponse(operationName);

    NcResponseProducer responseProducer = new NcResponseProducer(target,
httpRequest, ncResponse,
        requestCounter);
    NcResponseConsumer responseConsumer = new NcResponseConsumer(ncResponse);

    httpClient.execute(responseProducer, responseConsumer, new
ClientCallback(responseCounter,
        failCounter, connectionErrorMessageList, getRequestLine(httpRequest)));

    long clientId = requestClientId.getAndIncrement();
    return ((Long) clientId).intValue();
  }
..
}

public class NcResponseProducer extends BasicAsyncRequestProducer {

  private final NcResponse ncResponse;

  private static final Logger LOGGER = LogManager.getLogger();

  private final AtomicLong requestCounter;

  private final Header[] allHeaders;

  public NcResponseProducer(HttpHost target, HttpRequest request, NcResponse
ncResponse,
      AtomicLong requestCounter) {
    super(target, request);
    this.allHeaders = request.getAllHeaders();
    this.ncResponse = ncResponse;
    this.requestCounter = requestCounter;
  }

  @Override
  public void requestCompleted(HttpContext context) {
    super.requestCompleted(context);
    ncResponse.setStartTimeInNano(System.nanoTime());
    LOGGER.debug("Sent request to client {}. request ID={} headers={} count={}",
        getTarget().toHostString(), ncResponse.getRequestID(),
Arrays.asList(allHeaders),
        requestCounter.incrementAndGet());
  }

}

public class NcResponseConsumer extends BasicAsyncResponseConsumer {

  private final NcResponse ncResponse;

  public NcResponseConsumer(NcResponse ncResponse) {
    this.ncResponse = ncResponse;
  }

  @Override
  protected void onResponseReceived(HttpResponse response) throws IOException {
    super.onResponseReceived(response);
    ncResponse.setEndTimeInNano(System.nanoTime());
    ncResponse.setReturnCode(response.getStatusLine().getStatusCode());
  }

}