Not sure, if it helps.

In Eclipse/Californium I've implemented a proxy with hc-apache two years ago.

See
https://github.com/eclipse-californium/californium/blob/main/californium-proxy2/src/main/java/org/eclipse/californium/proxy2/http/server/HttpServer.java#L212-L232

There was a short discussion about that implementation, see:

https://lists.apache.org/thread/ddddkdv00qphxl2sysk1cnn4y29s4lzt

best regards
Achim

Am 16.02.23 um 22:54 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
On Thu, 2023-02-16 at 19:21 +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
  Here are some examples {ClassicReverseProxyExample.html,
ProxyTunnelDemo.html}
  Has anyone attempted to extend HC anywhere near a full blown HTTP
proxy like squid.
  Could you share with me any documentation you would deem valuable in
that sense?
  lbrtchx

I am not aware of any better or more advanced proxy implementation
based on HttpCore. There is however a more suited for real-world use
example based on the non-blocking (async) i/o model that might be a
much better starting point. It can also potentially support HTTP/2 for
incoming or outgoing messages, or both.

https://github.com/ok2c/httpcomponents-core/blob/master/httpcore5/src/test/java/org/apache/hc/core5/http/examples/AsyncReverseProxyExample.java

Hope this helps