On 14/03/2024 21:53, Jonathan Amir wrote:
Thanks for your answers, they help a lot.
So far what I am understanding about the connection closed situation is
that it is recoverable, but it is the responsibility of the caller to
implement its own retry mechanism.

It is potentially recoverable but the exact recovery strategy tends to be application specific.

The retry isn't built-in to the http client code itself but the recovery of
the internally managed connection is handled by the http client.
Is that right?

No, it is not. There a default retry-mechanism in place but it applies to idempotent methods only. Please take a look at DefaultHttpRequestRetryStrategy. HttpClient should automatically re-try idempotent methods, but non-idempotent method recovery is application specific and is considered a responsibility of the caller.

ConnectionClosedException is presently handled as non-recoverable by default. I am actually not sure this should be the case, but this is how it is now.

@Michael, do you happen to remember why we ended up treating ConnectionClosedException as non-recoverable?

However, It is always advisable to have one's own application specific recovery strategy.

Also, a small follow-up question about the TTL, how is it related (or not)
to ConnectionConfig.setValidateAfterInactivity,

Validate-after-inactivity and total-time-to-live are unrelated. Both, however, can cause the connection to be considered expired.

and are those two related
to client's builder evictIdleConnections method?

Those two settings are unrelated to idle connection eviction. A connection can be perfectly valid but it stays idle too long, it can get dropped.

Between idleness, TTL, and validation, what is supposed to be the correct
way to use these three configurations together?

This is entirely up to the caller. One may want to have a fairly long TTL, say 15 minutes, to ensure connections get refreshed every once in a while. The validate-after-inactivity check is not cheap. One should use it sparingly. It is usually up to the caller to decide, what is more preferable, a certain performance hit due to the validate-after-inactivity check or an occasional i/o exception due to the connection being stale. What connections are considered idle is entirely up to the caller.

Oleg