On Fri, 2024-03-15 at 21:56 +0100, Richard Tippl wrote:

> There are 2 issues with this approach, as far as i can tell, I can't
> measure these times separately, and in the newest alpha version of
> 5.4 the
> interface I'm using has been deprecated and replaced by the
> DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator, which performs all of the
> connection
> steps in a single method call.
>
> Am I missing some easier way to plug into the flow of creating a
> connection
> and getting the ability to measure what I wish to measure?

One would need to provide a custom HttpClientConnectionOperator as of
5.4 in order to plug-in custom connection initialization logic. What we
could do though is to add a number of callback methods #beforeThis,
#afterThis, #beforeThat, #afterThat to
DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator in order to make it easier to
collect various performance data.

Feel free to raise a PR at GitHub with such changes.

> Will it still be
> possible after the deprecated interfaces get removed? Is there a way
> could measure both socket open and SSL handshake separately?

Through a custom HttpClientConnectionOperator.