On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:28:51 -0500, John P. Baker
<john.ba...@hfdtechs.com> wrote:

>John,
>
>A lot of the messages that use different message ids are setup to display
>the various messages conditionally and construct the WTO parameter list
>dynamically.
>
>Philosophically, I think that the approach that I would take would be that
>if a multi-line message incorporates all lines unconditionally, then use the
>same message id on all lines, and if the multi-line message incorporates
>some lines conditionally, then use different message ids on different lines,
>as illustrated below --
>
>ABC0001I  Unconditional line 1
>ABC0001I  Unconditional line 2
>ABC0001I  Unconditional line 3
>ABC0001I  Unconditional line 4
>
>ABC0011I Unconditional line 11
>ABC0012I Unconditional line 12
>ABC0013I Conditional line 13
>ABC0014I Conditional line 14
>ABC0015I Unconditional line 15
>
>In the 1st example, above, message ids ABC0002I, ABC0003I, and ABC0004I
are
>to be reserved.  This provides that the message ids can be appropriated in
>the case that ABC0002I or ABC0003I is changed to conditional incorporation
>at some future time.
>
>There is a second argument to be made in favor of using different message
>ids where the message lines contain variable data, which may require a
>detailed explanation in a messages guide.

John,

The IBM Corporate Standard for Message Formats (which I own), states that
only a single message ID is proper for multi-line messages. However, the
standard was formulated well before messages became the lingua franca of
automation, and having a message ID on each line allows the automation to
infer what format the information on the line is in. Also, as you say, some
multi-line messages are assembled dynamically by connecting lines together, a
situation that the standard really doesn't address.

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development