Probably 6-8 years ago, I contributed a system called SOUT to the CBT tape. I was trying to find it on the CBT site, but I'm not having much luck. There used to be a link that listed all the files - I can't find it for some reason. I don't know if its not there, or more likely I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone know where it is?

SOUT was a system written by several systems programmers in Milwaukee (Not myself). When I was at P&H Mining, we used it to keep all of our MSGCLASS=M, or production message class. It provided a convenient ISPF interface to all the sysout message class stored there. You could control how many days by default to display - I think we used 8 days. Anything older than 8 days old would be migrated to tape, but you could submit a batch job to recall it to disk and then look at it.

I know when I submitted SOUT to the CBT tape, a few people used it and a couple made some fixes to it. I'm sure if you downloaded it now, it might require more fixes to work on the current releases of z/OS. I think z/OS 1.2 was current when I submitted it. Anyway, if SOUT is still on the CBT tape, it was a great system for displaying sysout and archiving it.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
IBM Global Services Division
Dubuque, Iowa
414-477-7259

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Hewson" <bruce_hew...@hotmail.com>

Not sure I would want SYSLOG to be trapped into an output archive.

We use SDSF to grab the previous day's log, midnight to midnight, and then
purge older data.

The data gets stored into a system/datetime stamped dataset.

Making it so very useful for data mining....just using SRCHFOR across a bunch
of the datasets retrieves very useful data for many uses.

I don't just want to keep syslog, I want to be able to interrogate it
extensively.

Regards
Bruce Hewson