In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
>Hi all,
>I have a T9840 tape drive and lots of carts that need to be erased the data
>on them. I know that there is an option in T9840 CSE panel that can be
>turned on/off:DSE(Data security erase), my question is: if I turned it on,
>what utility or software can I use to erase the data on those cartridges? I
>am using IBM rmm.
>Could you anyone send me a sample jcl or tell me where to find the procedure?

If you speak assembler, you can probably adapt the following to OS.  It
was originally written for VM.  Not by me, From Rich Chong at (then) the CTA.

The DIAG would be replaced by an EXCP and WAIT,  The LINEDIT by a WTO.
You would probably want to change the format 1 CCWs to format 2 CCWs.
The reason for the WTM at the beginning is so that the tape will not be
completely blank, which if mounted on drives of that era would run off
the end of the reel, and is still a good idea on newer drives.

I will leave the rest as an exercise for the student.

TAPERASE TITLE 'PROGRAM TO ERASE TAPES ON 3420''S'
* THIS PROGRAM ERASES TAPES ON 3420'S AT VIRTUAL ADDRESS 181.
* NOTE THAT IF THE OPERATOR HIT'S RESET/UNLOAD-REWIND DIAGNOSE 20
* RETURNS A CONDITION CODE OF ZERO. OH WELL ...
TAPERASE CSECT               ENTRY POINT FOR DATA SET ERASE PROGRAM.
         USING TAPERASE,R12  ESTABLISH PROGRAM ADDRESSABILITY.
         LA    R1,X'181'     GET ADDRESS OF DEVICE TO DO I/O TO.
         LA    R2,CCWLIST    GET ADDRESS OF CHANNEL COMMAND WORDS.
         DIAG  R1,R2,X'0020' LET CP DO THE IO.
         BALR  R3,0          GET RIGHT HALF PSW WITH CC.
         SLL   R3,2          GET RID OF THE ILC.
         SRL   R3,30         PUT CC IN LOW ORDER BYTE.
         LTR   R3,R3         IS CONDITION CODE ZERO?
         BZ    EXIT          YES, NO MESSAGE.
         LR    R4,R15        COPY RETURN CODE.
         LINEDIT TEXT='CC=.. RY=........ R15=........',
               SUB=(HEX,(R3),HEX,(R2),HEX,(R4)),RENT=NO
EXIT     DS    0H            ONLY EXIT FROM PROGRAM.
         XR    R15,R15       ZERO RETURN CODE
         BR    R14           RETURN TO CMS.
CCWLIST  DS    0D            CCW'S FOLLOW.
         CCW   X'1F',0,X'40',1    WTM FOLLOWED BY
         CCW   X'17',0,X'40',1    ERASE GAP FOLLOWED BY
         CCW   X'97',0,X'40',1    DATA SECURITY ERASE.
         CCW   X'0F`,0,0,1        THEN UNLOAD
         REGEQU              STANDARD CMS REGISTER EQUATES.
         END   TAPERASE      PROGRAM END.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67