Victor,

You'll find that all tape drives provide support for a "Data Security Erase"
feature which can be used to erase data on a tape at high-speed without tying up
the tape control unit.

What this means is that the erase function can clear all data from a tape
without
impacting other jobs using tape drives on the same control unit. The erase takes
place at maximum tape write speeds which will vary depending on the type of tape
drive model you are using.

You can either use a commercially available solution such as Innovation Data
Processing's FATS/ERASE or write your own program to invoke the "data security
erase" feature.

Stephen Mednick
Computer Supervisory Services
Sydney, Australia