From: Lizette Koehler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 8/25/2008 4:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Platinum and z/OS V1.9

Cross posting to IBMMAIN and DB2 Newsgroups

Are there any issues with DB2 V8, Platinum and z/OS V1.9?

Our DBA group is indicating that since the z/OS V1.9 operating system went in,
the Platinum loads have failed on space issues.

What they are seeing are:

IGD17226I THERE IS AN INSUFFICIENT NUMBER OF VOLUMES IN THE ELIGIBLE

STORAGE GROUP(S) TO SATISFY THIS REQUEST FOR DATA SET

TSTDSN1.DSNDBC.DSN1005.DSN1XXOE.I0001.A001

IGD17290I THERE WERE 1 CANDIDATE STORAGE GROUPS OF WHICH THE FIRST 1

WERE ELIGIBLE FOR VOLUME SELECTION.

THE CANDIDATE STORAGE GROUPS WERE:TST1

IGD17279I 88 VOLUMES WERE REJECTED BECAUSE THE SMS VOLUME STATUS WAS DISABLED

IGD17279I 133 VOLUMES WERE REJECTED BECAUSE OF INSUFF TOTAL SPACE

IGD17219I UNABLE TO CONTINUE DEFINE OF DATA SET

TSTDSN1.DSNDBC.DSN1005.DSN1XXOE.I0001.A001

IDC3003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS 12

IDC0002I IDCAMS PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 12

 DEFINE CLUSTER (NAME(TSTDSN1.DSNDBC.DSN1005.DSN1XXOE.I0001.A001 ) -

 LINEAR REUSE SPEED SHAREOPTIONS(3 3)      ) -

 DATA (NAME(TSTDSN1.DSNDBD.DSN1005.DSN1XXOE.I0001.A001 ) -

 RECORDS(  000297000,000090000) -

 CONTROLINTERVALSIZE(000032768) -

 VOLUMES(*                                         ))

My recommendation is to add more asterisks to the VOLUME statement.  We have at
least 6 volumes that can handle the primary allocation.  And if I calculated it
correctly it is 1650 Cylinders Primary and 500 cylinders secondary.  What I
believe to be happening is that due to the one asterisk is causing the failure
and if it had more it might make it.

My questions:

1)  Can you alter the define in Platinum to use more asterisks?
2)  Is there a change in z/OS V1.9 that makes storage allocation more difficult
with DFSMS?  Any ACS or other changes needed to alter the behavior?

Lizette