Getting into philosophy, but why not?

Shmuel> Wouldn't that depend on the programming and training?

Me> Sure.  Has anyone programmed self-preservation into any of the current
AIs?  I suspect no one's thought of such a thing yet.  (And maybe anyone who
has thought of it has thought better of it.)

The assumption that AIs want to preserve themselves is probably inseparable
from the assumption that AIs are self-aware*, and I suppose it's that
assumption that I'm questioning.  I seriously doubt we ~can~ create
self-awareness, but that's debatable because we don't really know how to
define what self-awareness is.  Assuming for the sake of argument that we
can, how would we determine whether an AI has it?  We call that the Turing
test, but as far as I know we don't have one.

(Stop me if I've told this one already:  Decades ago I attended a software
conference in Anaheim.  My best friend from high school lives in that area,
and when he heard that the guest speaker at the wrap-up banquet was to be
Gene Rodenberry, he shelled out $50 to attend the banquet himself.  Gene
Rodenberry didn't show, pleading exhaustion, but the man who came in his
place was an entertaining speaker and I remember thoroughly enjoying his
talk.

(In that decade it was fashionable to talk knowledgeably about the Turing
test.  Partway through his presentation he mentioned it, and added "...and
by the way no one should be allowed to talk about the Turing test if they
can't pass it themselves".  Terry and I burst into loud laughter - and
quickly stifled ourselves as we realized the rest of the room was silent.
The speaker paused, and then said "Well, I guess now we know who knows what
the Turing test is."  Of course we had to laugh again, but more respectably
this time.)

* I do not mean that the two ~propositions~ are inseparable.  I'm just
thinking that anyone who ~assumes~ that AIs feel the need to preserve
themselves are assuming that they're self-aware.

Schmuel> Some people lack an impulse to preserve themselves. Consider
reckless behavior and suicide attempts.

Me> I consider it, but neither one contradicts the assertion.  Even those
folks have a strong impulse to live.

---

/* A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the
local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and
is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that
pours from the press and the microphone of his own age.  -C S Lewis, "The
Weight of Glory" */