On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:14:50 +0000, Farley, Peter <peter.far...@broadridge.com>
wrote:

>From the testing I have done so far,
> My suspicion (untested) is that the Rexx script itself is automagically
> converted to EBCDIC as the interpreter
> is reading it, so that the interpreter only sees EBCDIC text.

Default REXX input routines would include support for UNIX files which are
encoded. It makes sense they would make this generic and support multiple
character sets. Why force it to only support the default encoding?

> the z/OS Unix Rexx interpreter SAY command only writes in EBCDIC.

On other Unix variants, STDOUT does not perform encoding and it is typically
performed by the application (language support). Imagine the difficulty in
translating characters but skipping terminal commands without understanding the
intentions of the app.  I would expect z/OS Unix to be the same and It would
make sense that it is EBCDIC.

SAY is often environment specific. Rexx provides exits that are user
replaceable allowing common functionality to be environment specific.