From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ed Long
Sent: 12 April 2015 03:47
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: A Total Eclipse of the Spool

I have been tasked with deploying Data Studio, the DB2 no charge
offering in the IBM Eclipse product set. z/OS, CICS and IMS explorers
round out the no charge offerings.
The target audience is not the long time, old time, 3270 types, but the
short time, new time Java, C# types who need to access z/OS data or
resources sometimes. They are not going to go through a 12 week master
the mainframe course since 90% of their work is off host.
I can get Data Studio working, even sort of compatibly with z/OS
explorer. At least both of these 2 will be deployed together.
I can get z/OS explorer to submit jcl, a requirement for some database
activities envisioned. Its builtin sysout retrieval function requires
SDSF and fairly heavy RACF configuration work.
However, we don't have SDSF; we have IOF. None of the necessary JES/RACF
stuff has been set up, even if IOF supports the function, to get z/OS
explorer to download the sysout. While SDSF and doing the configuration
stuff is the obvious answer, getting there would take an unplanned major
effort.
My question: What other options do I have to be able to retrieve
listings from within Eclipse?
For specific use cases, we could write reports to datasets and then use
the z/OS explorer to browse the dataset. This approach would mean the
listing would be unavailable but any reports would be.
We can assume that their jcl will be comparatively simple (Less than 10
steps and much of it generated and heavily reliant on procedures).
I've been considering FTP which has a JES interface.
For phase 1 of this activity we assume there might be 100 target
developers.
Comments and suggestions most appreciated.

Edward Long

email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by Postini / Google Message
Security and the UNICOM Global security systems. This message is for the named
person's use only. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and
notify the sender.