Hi,
  Well, just as I expected, people are very interested in this bold
move by Canonical. Let me throw in some tech details (as I interpret
it), so that we can make better judgment.

On Nov 13, 11:44 pm, Saji Nediyanchath <saj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I understood from the decision is that Xserver is
> something like a legacy software, it had not been designed for graphics
> intensive applications.

  That assessment seems to be same as Shuttleworth's. The original X-
server was not written keeping in mind the minimum GPU/graphics-
acceleration capabilities that we have today - even in smart phones.
Also unexpected was the rise of standards like OpenGL and DirectX.
Xserver was later retrofitted to work with them, but became
unmanageable over time when software like Compiz was written.

> And due to that the programmers lose their precious
> time writing unnecessarily long code to overcome that.

  Application programmers rarely write code that directly interact
with X-server. Rather, it is the job of the gui-toolkit (gtk/qt) and
window-manager (metacity/kwin/compiz) to do that. We program the
application to interact with toolkit and window-manager, and they talk
to the x-server. So, as long as the gui-toolkit and window-managers
are modified to work with Wayland, there will be absolutely no
difference in the way we program or the way even old gui applications
work.

> And hopefully that decision comes up with some good results in time for Ubuntu
> 11.04. I believe that Canonical, backed up by the Ubuntu community can
> surely succeed in this.

  I don't know about that. Shuttleworth gave a time-line of about 4
years for that!

On Nov 13, 2:36 pm, "ranjith.saj...@gmail.com"
<ranjith.saj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I support Canonical for This move. Wayland with X-tunneling will be good.

  I doubt that Wayland can do display tunneling - though I share your
sentiment (I want display tunneling as well!). First of all, Wayland
is not another implementation of X-server. It is a completely
different display server. In case of X-server, the application/toolkit
talks to the server using network protocols. These messages can be
routed over the network, and you get X-tunneling - application in one
system and display in another. But in case of Wayland, the server and
the app/toolkit communicates through GPU shared memory buffer. There
is a block of RAM (the buffer) in the video card that the server and
the application shares. When the app wants and update of screen, it
directly manipulates the buffer and notifies the server. The server
just reads the buffer and updates the screen. Wayland uses a Linux
kernel feature known as 'direct rendering' to do this.

  This essentially means that the app and server should be on the same
machine to share the buffer. Theoretically, it is possible to separate
the display and app into 2 machines. You just need to create identical
buffers in both machines. Whenever the app modifies its buffer, some
program should copy these changes and send it to the display machine
over the network. There, another program should receive the changes
and implement it on the Wayland server's copy buffer. However, this
introduces coherence problem - you need to avoid a situation where the
2 buffers are different (similar to cache coherence - if your subject
is computer science). This method is no different and no better than
techniques already in use - like VNC or Windows RDP. Frankly, with
Wayland, true display-tunneling would be lost forever.

On Nov 13, 8:19 pm, rakesh kr <rakeshkausthub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes i also agree with that Mandriva is many times better than ubuntu
> i wonder why people become followers of ubuntu.?

  I really fail to understand why Ubuntu attract such ill-will over
such bold moves. Eventually, Ubuntu experiments end up as upstream
standards (like pulse-audio and libnotify). What I find is a 'purist'
culture (no offense intended) that opposes anything that changes
traditional GNU/Linux. The fact is that Wayland is as open-source as X-
server - it is even hosted by freedesktop.org. Normal users wont
perceive any change due to the switch, if not a better user
experience. The installation will be smaller, snappier and cleaner.
Infact, the Wayland server was first introduced in the Mobile OS -
Meego by Intel and Nokia (and may be Android too). The difference is
that Meego and Android are considered as new OSs -even though they use
GNU and Linux. Ubuntu is only considered as another GNU/Linux
distribution. And GNU/Linux distros need a bold change like this if
they are ever going to survive. The only ones to loose with Wayland
are those who use X-tunneling for a living. Infact, very few of us
have used it for anything other than satisfying our curiosity.

Regards,
Gokul Das