Hi,

On Nov 16, 7:38 pm, prakreet <vipinmatth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the main problem canonical is going to face is getting graphics card
> vendors to support wayland display server.. the graphics card drivers
> need to be rewritten to support wayland. nvidia publicly said that
> they have no plans to release drivers supporting wayland.. if all
> distros take up wayland, we will have more weight behind our demand..
>
> shuttleworth announced the adoption early because he wants wayland to
> be really baked for the 12.04 lts.. it will take that much time for
> the drivers n apps to start using its potential to the fullest..

  Frankly, all the distros put together is no incentive for any GPU
maker to support Wayland. They will support it only if they want to -
probably because of GNU/Linux geeks working for them.

  Anyway, Nvidia's decision looks to be more out of laziness - not due
to dislike of Wayland server. The driver features needed by Wayland
(KMS, DRI etc) are not Wayland specific - they are used by Xserver
too. Fortunately, the FOSS driver Noveau seems to have improved a lot.
Perhaps that will compel Nvidia to support the server sooner or later.

Regards,
Gokul Das