The problem with SMTP AUTH-only on port 25 is that roamers often are blocked by the access providers from accessing port 25.

Couldn't you configure your firewall to send both port 25 and 587 to port 587 on the Imail server?

sure, but when you have a another box like IMGate doing the MX work, you can block Internt access to IMail open port 25, and force all roamers onto auth submission port 587.

or,

if your roamers are even able to get to port 25, then swap the open 25 to 587 and swap the auth 587 to 25. and block internet access to port 587, which will be reserved for trusted submission from the MX gateway.

Internet sending to port 25 will fail because AUTH is required.

I can't see any advantage is doubling all port 25 traffic also to port 587. In fact, how could that even work? I don't think it can. I start as session with port 25 and get mixed answers back from both 25 and 587?

Len