Hi,

One issue I can interject is recursion timeouts on MS Windows DNS. Note that
this applies to the name server shipped with Windows NT, Windows 2000, or
Windows 2003.

This issue applies particularly to A, MX, and PTR record lookups for domains
that are not active in the responsible name server or where the responsible
name server is extremely slow or fails to respond. Typically, it does not
apply to lookups at well known blacklists.

There are two values that affect the response of a Windows name server,
RecursionTimeout (default value is 21 seconds) and RecursionRetry (default
value is 3). So, counting the original attempt, there can be 4 attempts at
21 seconds each for a total of 84 seconds to return a failure.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\Recursio
nTimeout
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\Recursio
nRetry

Both values are DWORD.

Michael Thomas
Mathbox