On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Jing Xue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I read the thread on the dev list, and was thoroughly interested in the
> idea of a community-maintained public ivy.xml repository, because a
> carefully defined ivy.xml provides a lot more value than the ones generated
> from the pom, and would be something worth sharing.
>
> On the other hand, I'm not sure I see the value in the builder resolver. I
> guess I'm having a hard time imagining a use case where I would prefer
> building a 3rd party artifact locally rather than simply downloading it
> through an ibiblio resolver, or from a company-level proxy repository.

The problem is that not all artifacts are available as URLs. Many times,
they are packaged up inside a tar.gz file and the only way to get at them is
to extract them.

So without builder resolver, someone has to:

   1. Build and maintain an online repository that has huge disk space
   (and bandwidth) requirements
   2. Perform the manual download, extract, and publish steps every time
   a software has a new release

With builder resolver, #1 goes away entirely and #2 is reduced to updating a
SHA1 checksum (common case).

If you don't think #1 and #2 matter, then why aren't you volunteering to do
them for us? :-)

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs