From: bill parducci [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 9:01 AM
To: James Users List
Subject: Re: James for multiple domains

Matthew Schuyler Peck wrote:
> I've seen a repeated objection that no single solution has presented
itself
> as "the best". I submit that "the best" solution, for now, is the solution
> that other mail servers use, since it works and is widespread and James
> continues to lack its own solution to this important problem. Once this
> solution has been identified (I admit, I have not examined
> sendmail/qmail/exim/etc to figure out what, precisely, they do, but it
> involves using the full email address as the mailbox identifier at some
> level), all that remains is the time required to implement the solution. I
> am happy to provide the time. I simply want an official solution.

actually, sendmail does NOT use the 'full address' for processing mail. yes,
you can tell sendmail that it represents multiple domains, however,
processing beyond that is done solely upon the name of the recipient. this
is why a server representing myfoo.com and mybar.com cannot have aliases of
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] sendmail will tell you that this is a
duplicate entry. why? because domain validation is only done at the initial
point of SMTP transaction (so that a reject can be issued prior to accepting
data where unauthorized relays are attempted.). this is in contrast to
james, which accepts all mail then determines propriety of addressing
(*that* discussion you will find at least a few times on the list ! :o)

i struggled with this problem as well some time ago and it seems that this
behavior is due to the incestuous relationship between SMTP and DNS (tcp has
nothing to do with the discussion other than the fact that the agreed upon
port is 25 for SMTP and tcp was selected over udp for guaranteed
delivery--contrasting dns which is just fine with udp). it seems that the
guys who came up with the whole mail idea felt that it was best that the
defacto naming system, dns, was better suited to being the keeper of
machine/subdomain/domain identity and to limit mail systems to being only
consumers of that information (which is why i think the currentl rbl
solutions are so damn clever! :o)

the caveat above was implemented because it became apparent that mail
systems could be easily exploited to perform tasks outside of those desired
by the owner. in other words, the only reason that mail systems consider
domain at all is something of an afterthought. as the needs of users grew
(and things like ISPs) showed up, there needed to be more add-ons to
accommodate the multiple domains on a single server. sendmail addressed this
via the use of virtualusertables (yes, that ugly 'virtual' word :o) the idea
here was that you could create specific aliases that need not be defined as
'real' users by the host machine. last i checked, james had the same idea:

http://james.apache.org/javadocs/org/apache/james/transport/mailets/JDBCVirt
ualUserTable.html

so to make a long story a little longer, i would say that james is really
not different from other mailing systems in the way that it handles
users/identities, it is really *when* it decides to do something about that
information that makes it unique.

that's how it looks in my little corner of the universe anyway...