I fully understand now. Thanks a lot
Boris

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
 Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: The question is when I get Spans, I get start/end positions and a
: Document order (starting from 0), not the Document object itself from

Are you sure about that?  Spans.doc() should return you the internal
document Identifier which you can pass to indexReader.doc(int)

: which I could get a filename. Since I believe there is no way to get a : Document object from Spans, and there is no such thing as Document ID
: in Lucene (right?) I attempt to have the same order for
: Hits and for Spans (the indexing order) and retrieve Document for each
: Spans this way.

Documents do have Document IDs, assigned based on index order. that's
what Hits.id() returns.

FYI: take a look at the TestSpans.testSpanNearOrderedOverlap class for an example of how the Spans class works. (it's what i'm using as a basis for my suggestion as to how to use the class -- i've never used it myself)

-Hoss