Hello,

to answer your question: NO it is not the same! In the first case you you only
declare a variable of type Manager which has no reference to an object (i.e.
null). In the second case you also create an object of type Manager and you
immediately assign a reference to a newly created object of type Manager (i.e.
new Manager()). If you set the reference of the variable manager to null
afterwards, you throw the newly created object away and it will be cleared up
by the GC. Maybe you'll take a look in the Standard Java programming course of
Javapassion to gain a deeper understanding of OO.

Cheers
Lars

I am trying to discern another programmer's code (good luck I know)

In a class that tests connectivity to a datasource, the first line
after the try { opening up is a statement that I am not clear on.

it is like this
import model.Manager;
public class DataSourceConnectionObject {
        try {
        Manager manager = "null";

is this setting a new object of Manager named "manager" and setting it
to null ?
it this the same as if manager = new Manager and set manager =null on
second line?

just making sure its not doing something else...
thx