the -e means you can enter one or more lines of script.  If -e is used then
Perl will not look for a script filename.

Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Lynn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 5:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: a little offtopic

OK, I know this is off-topic, but it's a bit of a pain to go log onto
other lists and stuff for a question I only have to deal with once, so
please bear with me.. Does anyone out there know perl and know what this
line of code means?

if (-e $datafile) {} else { open (DATA, "<<$datafile") ||
ShowErrMessage("Blah"); }

I have a ecommerce program that I'm having problems with and we've
narrowed the problem down to this line. I don't really understand what
the -e is or the open statement...  Thanks to anyone that knows and once
again, sorry for the off-topic question.

-Daniel