Hello,
I think that it is too early to compare the two projects.  Labirynth
is a very "young" initiative (and it is very much needed on Gnome
Desktop, I agree) and we need to wait some time and look what
direction this project goes

Although I am a regular FreeMind  user (and also a Java developer), I
would like to contribute a little bit (if time allows) to Labirynth.
My first approach is an Issue  51 (http://code.google.com/p/labyrinth/
issues/detail?id=51&can=2&q=)  - I created a small patch to eliminate
"cursor blinking". Now it is a good idea to look deeper into the
code...

Best regards,
Kamila