On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:07 +0100, Matthias Vogelgesang wrote:
> Am Montag, den 24.03.2008, 13:08 +0000 schrieb Don Scorgie:
> > If this were to be proposed for GNOME inclusion (a goal?)
>
> This would be really awesome. BTW do you have any information about
> GNOMEs Google SoC plans to enforce development of a mind mapping tool?

Ye, I'm currently looking at that.  There seems to be some interest in
the project helping enhance labyrinth.

> > 2. Accessibility.  Labyrinth sucks at a11y.  I mean, really sucks.
> > There is none.  In order to be part of GNOME, there'd have to be some
> > form of a11y.  Whether this is making thoughts visible, or a special
> > view, I don't know.  More on this later.
> > 3. Theming.  We currently don't follow the gtk theme for anything.  The
> > problem is that theming in gtk sucks (from experience).  This would
> > require some thinking about.
>
> I looked into Gtk theming. I don't really know what needs to be themed
> anyway. One thing that needs to be themed is the bounding box selection,
> but otherwise I don't see that much parts.

The obvious ones are the bounding box colour and the text selection
colour.  However, there's also the primary thought and selected thought
default colours and the default background colour (white-on-black themes
for example).  There are various other things like the default font and
I'm sure a few other things I haven't thought of.

> > 4. User manual.  Should be relatively straight forward do do a simple
> > user manual.
>
> When trying to become a GNOME project, we should follow the paths of all
> projects and use DocBook XML which is even for a simple manual quite a
> lot of work.

He-he.  Ye.  DocBook is fun.  This depends on when we're in a position
to propose for GNOME.  It's possible by then we might have finished
working on a new format, Mallard XML, which will be easier.  However,
until then, DocBook it is :(

> > 7. An applet, like the wonderful tomboy.
>
> This is one of the most interesting and promising feature proposals in
> the list. Really, when I saw that, I instantly said to myself "that's a
> must-have".
>
> > * Exporting XML.  [...]
> > For this reason, I came up with a second possibility.  If we had an
> > option for maps with images in the export dialog "export with images",
> > we could basically create a tarball / zip file with the images included
> > with the XML (modified to point to the current path).  In the import,
> > this tarball would be expanded and the images put into a folder
> > ("~/.gnome2/labyrinth/images" or whatever), and the path fixed in the
> > image thoughts.
>
> This is a great idea (looks like .odf). For simplification reasons we
> could always zip/tar exported maps, it doesn't matter for the user if
> there are images or not.
>
> > * Speed.  I know Matthias has implemented some speedups, but there are
> > more available.  The biggest problem is when moving the canvas around,
> > as all thoughts visible must be redrawn every movement.  Maybe we could
> > get around this be keeping a cache of the current view and blatting [1]
> > that at the correct offset and only redrawing everything once movement
> > has stopped.
>
> Hmm, this means all elements need to be drawn off-screen but is
> obviously the best solution for scrolling. BTW, is there any reason why
> scroll buttons instead of scroll bars are used? I think users are much
> more faster dragging a scrollbar to a specific point because of the
> visual feedback and reference.

The reason it's arrows is because I was experimenting.  If there are
scrollbars, there is an issue of their initial state.  Do you have them
cover 100% of the width / height?  If so, people might not understand
they can move further easily.  The canvas is supposed to be expandable,
to appear as needed in any direction as needed.  With scrollbars, I
always feel they are a hard limit - you can't scroll past the end of a
webpage or a document.  I felt this didn't really fit the feel of the
expandable canvas of Labyrinth, whereas the buttons did.

Don