I've visited Hamilton Museum (it's not far from Glasgow). It has lace pillows and bobbins (all of the typical English Midlands type) and some lace but only one piece that is said to be Hamilton lace. I took Jeri Ames there back in 2002 and we were both very unhappy with the scrambled mess on the lace pillow, enough to put anyone off lacemaking, but I haven't been back since.

Over ten years ago I tried to follow up the references about Scottish lace that Mrs Palliser quotes but got nowhere. My feeling is that any bobbin lacemaking in Scotland was probably of the 'opportunistic' type - when lace sold well someone set up a 'lace industry' but when the slump came (as it always did) the lacemaking faded away. I'm not quite sure why it survived in New Pitsligo - perhaps because it was taught in the school there as part of the normal curriculum. This is what I wrote about New Pitsligo lace in an article about Scottish lace for a German lace magazine:

"In the nineteenth century lacemaking developed as a cottage industry in New Pitsligo, a village in north-eastern Aberdeenshire. It is uncertain who introduced lacemaking but it was encouraged by the minister, Rev.W.Webster who came to the village in 1841. He helped to improve the standard of the lace by bringing in teachers, compiled a specimen book and also found buyers for the lace including Queen Victoria. A report on Scottish Home Industries (1895) says that in the summer 50-60 and in the winter 150-160 persons are engaged in making lace. Women giving pretty steady attention to the work should make from 4s. to 5s. a week. The report is illustrated and includes a picture of a New Pitsligo lacemaker working at a bolster pillow outside her cottage. The lace was mainly Torchon, worked with the footside on the left indicating a continental influence, but there were local names for the patterns such as Lady's Fan, Jumpin Jecks and Ox-eye. The workers also referred to the movements of the bobbins as knit and twist instead of the more usual cross and twist. Lace is still made in New Pitsligo but now only as a hobby."

And Rochelle, there is another Scottish lace - Ballantrae lace - but you'll have to wait for the July issue of 'Lace'.

Now back to all the things on my list (this wasn't).

Jean in Glasgow, Scotland