At 5:52 pm -0500 5/2/07, Rochelle wrote:
Interesting the continental influence in Pitsligo. Wasn't that bit late for the migrations of lacemakers from Europe? I thought there were a few 'waves' of migration of lacemakers but much earlier than that. Does anyone know any more about that, or am I wrong?

It doesn't need a 'wave' - just one person. It's a bit of a mystery how the lacemaking in New Pitsligo started but according to one account the person who first taught the local women came from Aberdeen but had been a lady's maid in France where she had learnt lacemaking. (This is from an article in the Costume Society of Scotland Bulletin XXVII, Winter 1986, 'A Look at Lacemaking in Scotland' by Elsie McArthur.)

Jean in Glasgow.