Hi,

Thanks everybody for your contribution. I'm right now working with
Bob's approach because:

- It handles 16 and 24 bits
- The license is ok
- I don't relly need top performance on those types, and the code is small.

I tracked the origin of the previous code I was considering, and
if anybody interested, is from a paper from Jeroen van der Zijp:
ftp://www.fox-toolkit.org/pub/fasthalffloatconversion.pdf

Clean and fast code, used by MESA. But I am not sure about
the license. So, in this case of doubt, I prefer the safe side.

The code suggested by James Clos (thanks Jim!) is
also ok, but is under BSD license and that would mix licenses,
which would be a pain for some people using the package.

So, thanks again Bob, I hope integrating both formats (16 and 24
floating point) would take few days. Hopefully it will be ready
for next release in July.

All the best
Marti Maria