Am Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2015, 15:30:53 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Am 23.12.2015 um 12:22 schrieb Andrew:
> > It seems like it was dropped by unknown reason, so it should be enabled.
>
> Well, apparently nobody noticed, so I doubt it is used at all.
>
> cheers
>
> ET

Hi Erich

looking at

http://bering-uclibc.zetam.org/wiki/Bering-uClibc_5.x_-_User_Guide_-_Basic_Configuration_-_LEAF_Packages#Configuring_syslinux.cfg_or_isolinux.cfg

I read

For advanced users there is an alternative syntax for LEAFCFG which can
reference disks by a persistent block device name - either the file system
LABEL or the UUID. This borrows the syntax from other Linux distributions. For
example:

LEAFCFG=LABEL=LEAFBUC:vfat

would use the disk with the DOS filesystem label "LEAFBUC", or

LEAFCFG=UUID=3290c629-123e-4c44-b79b-1c71e312a079

(since the filesystem type is optional).

Note that this facility is not supported by default since the extra utilities
needed to identify devices in this way are not included in the standard
initrd.lrp files, and most users prefer a smaller initrd.lrp. However, it is
possible to enable this behaviour by following the instructions for Modifying
initrd.lrp and adding the following files from hdsupp.lrp:

    /sbin/findfs
    /lib/libblkid.so.1.1.0 and its symbolic links
    /lib/libuuid.so.1.3.0 and its symbolic links

It is marked as an feature "for advanced users" and never has been enabled in
busybox, but as part of hdsupp.lrp, which means not having findfs in busybox,
does not allow a judgement if the code snippet in linuxrc is used or not.

I suggest to keep it, and probably to enhance our basic system to enable this
feature by default.