Happy New Year to all!

Am Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2015, 12:23:39 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi KP
>
> Am 30.12.2015 um 20:11 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> > Erich;
>
> ..
>
> > Looking at the busybox documentation, it seems it does support handling of
> > LABEL and UUID.
> >
> > We should give it a try.
>
> I have built a initrd with findfs enabled in busybox and struggled for a
> few hours with linuxrc (which is not that seamlessly written in this
> aspect) to boot from a UUID specified partition.
>
>  title LEAF Styx primary boot UUID
>   root (hd0,1)
>   kernel /linux1 \
>   console=ttyS0,38400 \
>   init=/linuxrc rw \
>   usb_wait=3 \
>   VERBOSE=1 \
>   intel_idle.max_cstate=0 \
>   processor.max_cstate=1 \
>   root=/dev/ram0 \
>   boot=UUID=C765-30E4:vfat \
>   reboot=bios \
>   zswap.enabled=1 \
>   zswap_size=128M \
>   initrd=initrd2.lrp \
>   libata.force=1.00:pio4 \
>   PKGPATH=UUID=C765-30E4:vfat \
>   LEAFCFG=UUID=C765-30E4:vfat
>   savedefault
>
> initrd /initrd2.lrp
>
> title LEAF Styx primary boot with label
>   root (hd0,1)
>   kernel /linux1 \
>   console=ttyS0,38400 \
>   init=/linuxrc rw \
>   usb_wait=3 \
>   VERBOSE=1 \
>   intel_idle.max_cstate=0 \
>   processor.max_cstate=1 \
>   root=/dev/ram0 \
>   boot=LABEL=PRIMARY:vfat \
>   reboot=bios \
>   zswap.enabled=1 \
>   zswap_size=128M \
>   initrd=initrd2.lrp \
>   libata.force=1.00:pio4 \
>   PKGPATH=LABEL=PRIMARY:vfat \
>   LEAFCFG=LABEL=PRIMARY:vfat
>   savedefault
>
> initrd /initrd2.lrp
>

> SALT# blkid
> /dev/zram0: UUID="341406ff-6ca6-4b89-bfc5-5c9020bb0cc6" TYPE="swap"
> /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="C72F-3FC7" TYPE="vfat"
> PARTUUID="d0302fd7-01"
> /dev/sda2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="PRIMARY" UUID="C765-30E4" TYPE="vfat"
> PARTUUID="d0302fd7-02"
> /dev/sda3: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="SECONDARY" UUID="C784-A612"
> TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="d0302fd7-03"
> /dev/sda5: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="C7A6-1054" TYPE="vfat"
> PARTUUID="d0302fd7-05"
>

> I have successfully booted using either UUID and LABEL or the classical
> /dev notation, which makes this initrd suitable for all our supported
> type of partition identification. This initrd has been weeded out quite
> a bit. It needs a kernel with compiled in storage drivers from previous
> tests and it does not copy modules which reduces the memory footprint of
> our system quite a bit.

Erich, sounds great!

> We can safely remove findfs from hdsupp now.
>
> I will push the corresponding branch to the repository before midnight :-)

I looked into the source,  a few notes/questions.

If you remove moddb we need something else to save and load firmware -
currently we use moddb.lrp.

Is configuring modules in /etc/modules still supported?
We still need this for modules that are not detectable by hwdetect (non-
hardware related modules)

While it looks ok, how shorewall uses modules.sqfs, it will needs to be added
as patch - if at all.
Another approach could be to add those modules to /etc/modules, as we did in
the beginning with all modules more than a dozen years ago :)
This will load netfilter modules, even if one uses something else than
shorewall to configure the firewall rules.

I'd like to see the kernel config changes in the 4.4 configs - I'm pretty shure
we'll update the kernel for next major version, and I'm also shure that
changing linuxrc/modules loading that much will be rather part of a new  major
version, than an update in the maintenance version 5.2 with kernel 4.1.

Currently building and will do some testing...