One extra comment from me is that I think you and John diagnosed the
initial issue correctly, it is that you are using LAPACK for the SCM
eigenproblems, and that uses dense matrices. As a result it doesn't scale
well to larger problems.

I recall that I set LAPACK as the default for SCM because I had a lot of
trouble getting convergence with sparse eigensolvers like SLEPc for this
case, I think the SCM eigenproblem is a difficult one to get convergence
for. But I think the "real" fix here would be to get SLEPc to converge
well, but I think that may not be easy to do (at least I wasn't able to do
it reliably when I worked on this originally).

Best,
David