Unfortunately, there is no additional information in the log file beyond

configure:4977: result: <<< Could not find a viable PETSc Makefile to
> determine PETSC_CC_INCLUDES, etc. >>>

which means that your PETSc installation is not how we expected it to be.
Based on the args you passed to configure, I see that you set the following

PETSC_DIR=/home/hpcsmec15767/sfw/petsc/3.17.5/linux-debug
PETSC_ARCH=linux-debug

In this case we expect to find the following two files:
${PETSC_DIR}/makefile
${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/lib/petsc/conf/variables

or the single file:

${PETSC_DIR}/lib/petsc/conf/variables

Therefore, I think the issue is that your PETSC_DIR variable already
includes the PETSC_ARCH in it? I would try again setting

PETSC_DIR=/home/hpcsmec15767/sfw/petsc/3.17.5

instead.

--
John