Personally I'm not a fan of such feature. To me this doesn't bring
much benefits especially that snippets pretty much allow this support
such as:

<lift:MySnippet>
   <something:notlift attr="whatever" />
</lift:MySnippet>

...yes the wrapping tag is extra typing but still I can't find a real
problem where a custom tags solves it and snippets do now. To me this
looks like ... what I'd call "a false sense of extensibility". I mean
at the first glance we allow people to define a tag soup (with or
without naming overlaps) but then looking closely is that we didn't
actually do too much. Snippets would do the job in a more
"standardize" lift way IMO.

For what I can tell the LiftRules.LiftTagPF should probably be
deprecated. The debatable value that I could currently find in
LiftTagPF is that people could overwrite Lift built in snippets with
some proprietary implementation. However in practice this is not
really needed .. I think.

All in all I'd love to see some types of problems where custom tags
would be a better fit.

Br's,
Marius