True, I was using \mark instead of \textMark. I just switched to \textMark,
which is definitely more correct, and I am also using \textEndMark, so I
can have one at the end of one system and the other at the beginning of the
next system in the same spot in the score. It does seem to me that if you
are using NoteNames in addition to regular notation you would not want to
include anything other than those note labels. Perhaps this could be added
as an option. I don't suppose NoteNames gets very much use, but I do have
some users who need the help!

I was unaware of tags in LilyPond until now. I might have some other uses
for them.