My experience with Google Groups is that you don't need to have a Google
account to send and receive email from a group. To people without Google
accounts, it would seem very much like the current system we have. People
with Google accounts would be able to log into the group to see past
messages. I think it would be fairly easy to switch to Google groups if the
administrators wanted to do so.

Slack, on the other hand, would be a bigger step for people who are used to
email. Younger people often use it in their workplaces, so are familiar
with it, but for older people there's a bit of a learning curve and I think
switching to it would lose a significant part of our current community.

Leslie Turek