The school is too big by any standard.  We have 550 students with a
declining school population.  The architect and school administration at
the time told us the building was designed for 650 students.  More
recently, the school architects publicly told fellow architects that the
school was designed for 700 students.  9 grades (k-8) each have 4 separate
classrooms.   Only 2 of the 7 grades have enough students for 4
simultaneous classrooms.  Applying the state education sizing guidelines
for a new school, our 165,000 square feet should support over 1000
students.

It would be helpful to our discussion if people can agree on certain
facts.

What exactly do people like about Plans A, B or C?   I like none of them as
I believe the premise of intergenerational mingling  as a goal  won't be
accomplished with the limited available hours for senior programming  at
Hartwell because of the parking, traffic and safety concerns.  The new
community center will have senior programming by design only from 9 to 2:30
on M, Tu, Th, Fr and 9 to 12 on Wed.

The CCBC presents parking as ample with 50 spots nearby without telling the
community that the current users of Hartwell may already be using many if
not most of the 50 nearby spots.  So, we may only have 5 to 10 open spots
at any given time or maybe even fewer if there are events/meetings going on
at the main Hartwell building's multi purpose room, training room or School
business office.

I am afraid that the CCBC is sticking with a Community Center based in
Hartwell for the wrong reasons.  The town has an obligation to its seniors.
I  just don't want to build a core town building in a location that comes
with so many restrictions/limitations.

Peter Buchthal
71 Weston Rd