On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 08:49:04AM +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:

> I dunno where you live but many old in Tel-Aviv and surroundings
> don't have grounding at all (I first found this out from getting
> "electrocuted" from the D-frame of the serial port).

Shocks like this often come from no grounding when you have an MOV
type "surge supressor". These are the ones that are sold in computer
and office supply stores and are IMHO worthless junk.

The good ones are manufactured by a company called TripLite which sells
them under the brand ISOBAR or if you really have money a commercial one
called Trans-Tec. Both are made in the U.S. and are therefore hard
to find if at all and expensive here.

Many devices use them internaly too.

The problem is that they "leak". A new MOV leaks about 80 volts, enough to
give you a good shock. As they absorb shocks, they leak more until
eventualy they fail, sometimes with a flash and smoke.

You may also find that if you have relativley new wiring (done in the
last 50 years) the ground wire runs to your outlet but is not connected
or the ground pin has lost its flexability and no longer makes contact.

Since we have moved into this (rental) apartment nine years ago we have
had to replace every outlet at least once because the previous tenant
used electric heaters all winter and literaly burnt the outlets.

Some of the outlets have been replaced two or three times as the cheap
replacement ones don't make good contact (and the ground pins are the worst).

You should also make sure that the cable company has grounded their cable
where it comes into the building. If that gound is bad or missing, you will
have problems.

Personaly, I would borrow a different computer that runs windows and
let it run for a few days to see if you still have problems. Then if
it does not work, you can complain and they may actually support you.

Another usefull thing to do is to get a different network card. Intel
cards work flawlessly, Other brands may not, especialy RealTec chipset
ones.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838