On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:05:01PM +0300, Avraham Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi,
> Your problem with the mlterm settings, which apparently was not
> addressed in the answers you received, caught my eye, because I
> am also contemplating moving to UTF8, and because I grew to be
> addicted to my habits. I would, therefore, like to hear from you
> how these fare in mlterm.

I still did not play with it much, but I am pretty sure I don't and
won't like it. I use it currently almost only for email, with most of
my windows being xterm. Few of the things I miss:
Double-click behaviour is different - dragging doesn't select by words,
only the first selection is a whole word
It's a bit less flexible in setting word boundries
No "extend selection" (right click in xterm)

> Most important (and I really would like to know what sets this
> option) is the interpretation of the modifier key: I like to use
> it in the shell like it is defined in emacs: I mean ALT-F, ALT-b
> to jump a word forward/backward, ALT-D, ALT-BS to erase one,
> ALT-c to capitalize, ALT-u to change to upper case till the end
> of the word and ^ALT-y in conjunction with ALT-i to recall the
> i-th argument of the preceding command.

Did not play with this. I use vi :-)

> For the rest of my preferences, I quote the relevant lines from
> .Xresources:
>      XTerm*title: Hebfont xterm
>      XTerm*geometry: 100x39+0+0
>      XTerm*scrollBar: on
>      XTerm*saveLines: 500
>      XTerm*pointerShape: hand2

I think most of these aren't an issue (some I also tried).

>      XTerm*background: cornsilk
>      XTerm*foreground: black

I personally like dark backgrounds. This is what I use:
#!/bin/sh
bg=rgbi:`dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=3 2>/dev/null | od -tu1 | \
awk '{b=0.1/256 ; printf("%s/%s/%s\n", $2*b, $3*b, $4*b); exit(0)}'`
exec xterm -bg $bg -fg white "$@"

and it's the exact same in mlterm (-fg/-bg).

>      XTerm*visualBell: false
>      XTerm*VT100*font: -*-*-*-*-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-8

Which font is this in reality on your machine?

I have personally edited the Hebrew part of the utf-8 10x20 and use it.
You can get it at <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/10x20heb.tgz>.
It will probably be a bit small for you if you use 24.
--
Didi