On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Alexander Indenbaum wrote:

As for pressing - either use the machine in the store or order ready to use
cables.
As for the cards - make sure the giga card supports linux and jumbo frames.

I'm not sure I could press it in the store: I should put wires in the
wall tubes, then cut it to needed length and only then I could press
it.

You must press them after they are pulled into the conduits. Do not cut the cables to length before pulling, the lengths change and sometimes a cable dies like that. Borrow a cable tester for a day and check everyting.

Because the connectors have punchdown terminals which are pressed down by their lid (as someone else said), you do not actually need to press anything, just put on the lid and force it down hard (a monkey wrench helps for pressing, screw it tight on the assembly). The attachment on the patch panel is also non-press as above.

Press connections are used only on male cable connectors.

The press tool is different from a punchdown tool (which you almost certainly do not need if you take care to buy the kind with the pressdown cover).

Peter