Alexander Indenbaum wrote:
> I'd like to remind you that modern PC hardware could not utilize 1G
> bandwidth network - it really can't in most cases :) There is neither
> enough CPU horse power nor enough memory bandwidth. That is why I
> doubt that 1G Ethernet technology is ready for deployment as my home
> backbone.

I beg to differ, *modern* hardware can easily handle and fill 1Gpbs
networks, For normal LAN connections that wouldn't even need high end
hardware, normal machines can handle it quite well and benefit from it.

If you intend to have the storage in one machine and view a movie on
another having 1Gbps network would help. It's not critical but it will help.

The hardware can also handle 1Gbps for WAN connections, but the software
implementation is lacking for that. I'm working on that and will have a
fix for Linux in a couple of months. But I doubt it will really matter
to you :-)

If I was doing such an installation now I'd for the 1Gbps network.

Baruch