Just a comment on a topic raised. Not specific to Actcom.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:37:08 +0300, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>   Our ADSL and Cable deals are like many similar deals of other ISPs,
> in that they contain an initial period of low price (now typically for
> 6 or 12 months, depending on the deal) and only then the regular price
> applies (Bezeq and the Cable companies have a similar arrangements of
> there infrastructure cost).  So after the initial period, the regular
> price, as signed by the user, applies (not like most other ISPs, users
> at ACTCOM sign on a written agreement to prevent any misunderstanding).
> Absolutely most of the times we are able to make a discount, because
> absolutely most of the users have low traffic.  However, for users who
> have very high traffic we keep our right not to give a discount (or
> not to give a big discount) from our official price as agreed when
> the account was set up (for monthly accounts) or from the prices written
> in our web site, as applicable for the particular case.
>
>   Some background about traffic:
> The traffic is the thing that consists most of the marginal cost a
> customer costs to the ISP.  A customer with much traffic costs to
> the ISP much more than she/he pays, sometimes even 10 times more.
> In a later letter somebody raises the question how come we pay for our
> links according to the amount of traffic - I will answer when I get to
> that letter.
>
>   Some dry (and maybe astonishing to some) statistics:
> 10% of the ADSL users use 50% of the total ADSL traffic (and hence the
> total ADSL bandwidth).  In Cable (for a reason which is not entirely
> clear to me, but I have guesses) the picture is even worse: 8.7% of the
> users use 50% of the Cable traffic.  This means this relatively small
> number of users are very heavily subsidized by the rest of about 90% of
> the users (not by tens of percents - by several folds).  Another way to
> look at it: 20% of the users use 70% of the bandwidth, and 50% of the
> users use about 93% of the bandwidth.  The 50% of the users that use
> only 7% of the bandwidth use less than 1.1G/month.  9GB/month, which is
> mentioned in the quote above, is used only by about 12% of the Cable
> users, which use more than 60% of the Cable traffic. (To remind you,
> the traffic is the major marginal cost to the ISP of a broadband user.)
>
>   So sometimes we cannot give a large enough discount off our official
> prices (as published in our web site or agreed with the user) to
> users which have high traffic.  Instead, we prefer to give as bigger
> as possible discounts to the absolute majority of the users who have
> relatively small traffic.

However not all traffic costs the same to the ISP. I figure that
international traffic is the most expensive, Israeli traffic is less
expensive, and internal (ISP-internal) traffic is the least expensive.

Thus an actcom user downloading a bunch of ISOs from Hamakor/Iglu's
mirrors is less expensive than an actcom user downloading the same files
from a remote mirror. Ditto a p2p user downloading files from an Israeli
user rather than from somewher in the US.

Is there an easy way to meassure "local traffic only"? How do you handle
proxied traffic such as SMTP?

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best